West Virginia Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents may occur virtually anywhere. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, it is advisable to obtain a consultation with a West Virginia slip and fall lawyer to review the circumstances of your case. The causes of slip and fall accidents vary greatly and may result from temporary conditions, such as oil that recently spilled on the floor. In other circumstances, slip and fall accidents may result from a permanent condition, such as a defectively built stair or an improperly installed handrail. Owners and management of commercial property are responsible for safely maintained and secured premises. Visitors, shoppers, passers-by and others who legally enter the property of another are owed a duty by the owner of the property. The owner must maintain the premises in a manner that is consistent with specific standards of public safety.
If your slip and fall injury was a result of the negligence of the property owner or manager, you may seek compensation in a slip and fall personal injury claim. The Charleston, WV injury lawyers at Tiano O’Dell, PLLC represent clients who have been injured in slip and fall accidents throughout the state.
Slip and Fall Accident Resources
- Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
- Common Causes of Slips and Falls
- Injuries Resulting From Slips and Falls
- Damages in a West Virginia Slip and Fall Accident
- What to do After a Slip and Fall Accident in West Virginia
- Contact a West Virginia Slip and Fall Attorney
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
Slip and fall accidents are more common than you might think. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the nation’s largest public health agency, over a million Americans experience a slip, trip, or fall injury each year in the United States. Of these, over 17,000 lose their lives, which are usually falls from heights. Slips and falls are also the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims and job-related injuries.
Common Causes of Slips and Falls
While slip and fall accidents can occur in virtually limitless scenarios, some are more common than others. The most common causes of slip, trip, and fall accidents include:
- Wet or slippery floors. This might be due to spilled substances or even recent waxing.
- Broken or uneven areas in the flooring, such as torn carpets, cracks, or sudden dips in the floor level.
- Stairs, specifically broken handrails, uneven steps, or poorly lighted stairwells.
- Exposed cables.
- Cracks or uneven areas in the sidewalk.
- Negligently tended outdoor areas (i.e. slip and falls resulting from snow and ice).
- Escalator injuries (i.e. clothing being caught in cracks between steps).
If a property owner is negligent in maintaining these areas in a proper manner, an injured victim may hire a qualified West Virginia slip and fall attorney and seek compensation in a slip and fall action.
Slippery Floor Accidents
Slippery floor accidents may occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Wet floor surfaces from overhead drip
- Wet floors due to broken bottle content spills
- Worn out floor tiles, linoleum
- Slick, waxed floor surfaces
- Oily floors
- Snow and ice
Uneven Floor Surface Accidents
The owners of commercial establishments and private residential properties have a duty to maintain the environment in a safe manner. Floors must be free from dangerous elements that can cause accidents, including:
- Improperly constructed
- Ignored and not properly maintained
- The floor is no longer level
- Roots or other growth under sidewalk, patios, walkways, and other areas causing uneven surfaces
- Cracks in pavement and floors causing uneven surfaces
Injuries Resulting from Slips & Falls
Injuries from slips, trips, and falls may be extremely serious. They include the following:
- Broken hips
- Broken bones, including arms, wrists, elbows, legs, ankles
- Broken or damaged ribs
- Knee damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Traumatic head injuries
- Back injuries
- Facial injuries, including broken nose, jaw, cheekbone
Damages in a West Virginia Slip and Fall Accident
The law allows victims of slip and fall accidents to collect certain damages. There are two broad types of damages:
- Economic, or special damages, provide compensation for the material losses associated with an injury. These include, but are not limited to, medical bills, lost wages, and ongoing rehabilitation costs.
- General damages give the victim recompense for the intangible losses of an accident. Examples include pain, suffering, emotional distress, and any persistent loss in life quality.
If you suffered losses in a slip and fall accident, you may be eligible to collect compensation. A personal injury settlement will help you pay for your medical bills and other expenses, so you can get back on your feet sooner. It is essential to contact an experienced West Virginia slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in West Virginia
What you do following your slip and fall accident in West Virginia can affect the success of your claim. Take the following actions as soon as possible:
- Report the incident. If you slipped in a public building, ask to speak to the building’s supervisor. File an incident report if possible, as this could be valuable evidence later.
- Take pictures. If a hazard is responsible for your injuries, it’s best to take pictures in the moment, before the party responsible for your injuries can remove the evidence. For example, if you slip and fall in a puddle in the grocery store, you’ll want to take pictures of the water before an employee can mop it up.
- Seek medical attention. Taking care of your injuries promptly will help you strengthen the veracity of your claim.
- Get an attorney’s help. As soon as you’re able, contact a West Virginia slip and fall lawyer to help you build a case and receive compensation for your injuries.
One of the best steps you can take immediately following a slip and fall injury and addressing your medical needs is to speak with a qualified and reputable slip and fall attorney in West Virginia.
Consult a West Virginia Slip and Fall Attorney If You Were Injured
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, compensation may be pursued if the property owner was negligent in maintaining the premises and if the accident was caused as a result of the inferior conditions. Tiano O’Dell, PLLC offers a complimentary legal consultation to review the circumstances of your case. If we accept your case, there will be no legal fees unless a settlement is reached or the case is won at trial. To schedule your complimentary consultation, call (304) 720-6700 or contact us online.