When you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by someone else, they might be liable for your injuries and damages. Common types of personal injury claims include car accidents, slip and falls, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents. You cannot control other people’s actions and behaviors, but you do have the right to hold them accountable in a personal injury claim.
If you have been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, you may be entitled to compensation. You should secure a skilled Parkersburg, WV personal injury attorney who can investigate your case and work to secure the coverage you need. The team at Tiano O’Dell, PLLC is ready to help you; contact our office today.
Our Personal Injury Practice
- Our attorneys have experience handling all types of personal injury claims. No claim is too big or too complex for our law firm to handle. We have the resources, experience, and skills necessary to represent clients in any injury action.
- In every case and for every client, our goal is to recover maximum compensation in a settlement agreement or at trial. We settle many of our cases, but we are not afraid to go to trial when it is in our clients’ best interests.
- We take our personal injury claims on contingency so that you will never pay out of pocket for our legal fees. Our attorneys will not collect attorneys’ fees until we have helped you secure compensation in a settlement or trial award.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Personal Injuries?
We regularly handle cases arising from the following:
- Car Accidents that happen in Parkersburg and across West Virginia that result in significant injuries and damages.
- Truck Accidents involving semi-trucks, 18-wheelers, and other large commercial trucks. Our attorneys know the applicable trucking rules and regulations and how to recover important evidence to prove liability.
- Mesothelioma from asbestos exposure caused by someone’s negligence, such as an employer or building owner who failed to take proper safety precautions.
- Dog Bite Injuries can be severe, permanent, and sometimes fatal. We pursue dog owners and their insurers for our clients’ dog bite injuries and damages.
- Birth Injuries caused by negligent medical care during pregnancy and childbirth.
- Burn Injuries often cause significant injuries and damages due to permanent scarring, disfigurement, disability, and severe infections.
- Motorcycle Accidents caused by other negligent drivers. Unfortunately, even though negligent automobile drivers often cause motorcycle accidents, it is motorcyclists that typically suffer the most severe and catastrophic injuries in accidents.
- Nursing Home Injuries caused by negligence and abuse in living facilities are common. Our attorneys are aggressive advocates for our elderly clients and their families. We pursue compensation from every responsible party, which may include the care facility, employees, administrators, and medical providers.
- Premises Liability Injuries are injuries caused by dangerous conditions on someone else’s property. Examples of premises liability cases include slip and falls and swimming pool accidents.
What Does a Parkersburg, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer is responsible for understanding the law and making sure you are treated fairly. They will work to:
- Gather evidence in your case that helps prove the extent of your injuries and that the defendant was responsible for your losses.
- Work with expert witnesses as consultants on your case and to provide expert testimony when necessary.
- Ensure that aggressive insurance companies do not contact you directly to discuss your accident and resulting injuries. Our attorneys will manage all communication and negotiations with insurance adjusters.
- Be ready to take your claim to trial if necessary. As mentioned above, we are not afraid to go to trial when it is in our clients’ best interests. We would rather put in the time and effort to try your case than accept an inadequate settlement offer on your behalf.
What Expenses Can Be Compensated In a Personal Injury Case?
What type of and how much compensation you receive depends on the severity of your injuries and the fact of your particular case. Many personal injury victims are able to recover compensation for the following:
- Current and future medical bills
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Emotional/mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Wrongful death
What is the Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Claim in West Virginia?
The statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits to be filed in West Virginia is two years from the date of the injury or from when the injury should have been discovered. If you fail to file your claim within the statute of limitations time frame, you may lose your right to collect compensation for your losses.
How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim in Parkersburg, WV?
The easiest way to get a personal injury claim started is by hiring a Parkersburg, WV personal injury attorney. Your attorney will offer an initial consultation, after which they will handle the rest of the case for you.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Parkersburg, WV Personal Injury Attorney?
At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, we take personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will face no out-of-pocket costs and will pay no legal fees until we are successful in securing compensation for your injuries and damages in a settlement agreement or trial award.
Do You Have to go to Court in a Parkersburg, WV Personal Injury Case?
Many personal injury cases are settled before they go to trial, meaning you will not have to go to court. However, if the insurance carrier or defendant does not offer a fair settlement, a full trial may be necessary to secure the compensation you deserve. Our personal injury attorneys in West Virginia continuously prepare our cases for trial so that our clients never feel pressured to accept an inadequate settlement offer.
Contact us today to schedule your free case consultation and receive the assistance you need.