Accidents involving larger trucks on the roadway often result in severe injuries for those riding inside traditional passenger vehicles. Unfortunately, truck accidents are often caused by the careless or negligent actions of a truck driver or trucking company. At Tiano O’Dell, our team is here to help if you need a Parkersburg personal injury lawyer by your side. We have the resources necessary to fully investigate every aspect of your claim, help determine liability, and ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer?
If you have been injured in an accident involving a large commercial truck, you will very likely need an attorney to ensure you recover maximum compensation. Most injury victims in these situations do not have the resources necessary to conduct a complete investigation into their case. However, a Parkersburg truck accident attorney can use their resources and legal expertise to conduct a full investigation into the claim and help ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Truck accidents can become immensely complicated, particularly because there is much more evidence that needs to be uncovered to determine liability. A Charleston, WV injury attorney can help uncover the following:
- Any photographs taken at the scene of the crash
- Any video surveillance from nearby cameras
- The electronic logging device (ELD) that monitors the trucker’s hours
- The electronic control module (ECM) for the truck
- The truck company’s safety and training records
- The inspection and maintenance records for the truck
Who is Liable for West Virginia Truck Accidents?
There are various parties that could be liable for truck accidents, but we often find that these incidents are caused by the careless or negligent actions of a truck company or truck driver. However, when a truck driver is working under the auspices of a company, then the company will most likely hold liability for the actions of the driver. In general, companies will be held liable for the actions of their workers, so long as the incident occurred while the employee was carrying out work-related duties.
Additionally, it may be possible to hold the manufacturer of the truck or various truck parts responsible for the crash if it is determined that the crash was caused by a defective vehicle or vehicle part.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
In West Virginia, truck accidents are often caused by the careless or negligent actions of truck drivers. This can include drivers:
- Operating while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Operating while distracted by phones or other devices
- Failing to abide by FMCSA hours of service requirements
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Failing to inspect the vehicle
- Improperly loading the vehicle
- Failing to follow traffic laws
Trucking companies can also cause vehicle accidents if they fail to uphold their duty of care. This can include a company:
- Failing to properly inspect and maintain the vehicles
- Failing to properly train every driver
- Encouraging drivers to operate longer hours
- Not properly conducting background checks on drivers
Get Help from a Parkersburg Truck Accident Attorney
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a crash caused by the careless or negligent actions of a truck driver or trucking company, contact the team that Tiano O’Dell today. Our Parkersburg truck accident attorneys have extensive experience handling complex truck accident claims, and we have the resources necessary to conduct a complete investigation into the case. Contact us for a free consultation online or by call (304) 720-6700.