Charleston, West Virginia Personal Injury Attorney
Injuries happen unexpectedly, and they could lead to a victim sustaining significant disabilities. Injury victims are often left to dealing with tremendous medical bills and other injury-related expenses. At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, we are here to help when you need a Charleston, West Virginia personal injury attorney. We pledge to conduct a thorough investigation into your injury claim in order to obtain maximum compensation on your behalf.
Injured Due to Someone Else’s Negligence?
Unfortunately, many injury incidents are caused by the careless or negligent actions of another person, company, or entity. When this occurs, the injury victim should be able to recover compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance carrier. However, these cases can become incredibly complicated, and you will need help from a skilled personal injury attorney in Charleston. You may have to file a personal injury lawsuit in order to recover full compensation for your claim.
Why Choose Tiano O’Dell, PLLC
After sustaining an injury caused by another party, you need to choose an attorney you can trust both personally and professionally to handle a complex case.
- Our attorneys have more than two decades of experience handling all types of personal injury claims in and around Charleston, WV.
- We have extensive resources at our disposal that we can use to conduct full investigations into all personal injury claims.
- Founding partners William Tiano and Tony O’Dell have earned recognition as Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the American Trial Lawyers Association and West Virginia Super Lawyers.
- We take all Charleston personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients pay no legal fees until after we secured the compensation they deserve.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
The team at Tiano O’Dell, PLLC has extensive experience handling all types of personal injury cases. Some of the cases that we handle include the following:
- Car Accidents. Traffic collisions happen in a variety of ways in and around Charleston, WV. Causes of car accidents include distracted driving, impaired driving, failure to follow traffic laws, and more.
- Medical Malpractice. Most people do not realize that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the country, according to researchers at Johns Hopkins. These mistakes can include surgical errors, medication mistakes, misdiagnosis, failure to diagnose, birth injuries, and more.
- Nursing Home Abuse. Estimates show that one out of every 10 people over the age of 60 will experience elder abuse every year, and this abuse often occurs in a nursing home setting. This can include physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional and psychological abuse, financial abuse, and neglect of basic necessities.
- Premises Liability. Property owners and operators have a duty to ensure that their premises are safe for those who have a right to be there. Unfortunately, there are times when the negligence of a property owner allows for unsafe conditions to arise that can harm guests.
- Product Liability. Defective products can be incredibly harmful to consumers. Products are often defective due to flawed designs, manufacturing errors, or problems with a product label.
Personal Injuries Caused by Accidents
At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, we regularly help clients who have sustained severe injuries as a result of the negligence of another person. This includes the following types of injuries:
- Brain Injuries. Traumatic brain injuries usually occur due to a sharp blow to the head. A brain injury can leave a victim suffering from significant physical and cognitive disabilities.
- Broken Bones. When a victim sustains broken bones, they often are unable to resume normal activities for an extended period of time, and they may need rehabilitation in order to make a full recovery.
- Burn Injuries. Injuries caused by burns can occur in a variety of ways, and an estimated 450,000 burn injuries require treatment at the hospital each year across the United States.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. Injuries to the spinal cord can be catastrophic and leave a victim partially or completely paralyzed. Spinal cord injuries can also be incredibly costly for victims and their families.
What Should I Do After an Accident?
The Charleston, WV personal injury attorneys at Tiano O’Dell, PLLC suggest that anybody harmed due to the negligence of another person take the following steps to ensure they receive compensation for their claim:
- Seek medical assistance as soon as possible after sustaining an injury.
- Report the injury to the appropriate authorities (police, employer, property owner, etc.).
- Notify insurance carriers of the injury (if applicable).
- Do not give any recorded statements or sign over your medical records to any other party.
- Speak to a personal injury attorney in Charleston, West Virginia as soon as possible for a free consultation of your case.
What is the Statute of Limitations in West Virginia?
In West Virginia, there is a time limit placed on how long victims in these cases have to file lawsuits against in alleged negligent party. This time limit is called the statute of limitations and requires victims to file a lawsuit against an at-fault party within two years of the date the injury occurred. Failure to file a lawsuit within this time limit will likely result in the victim being unable to recover compensation for their losses.
What Kinds of Damages Can I Recover?
If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the actions of another person, you may be entitled to various types of compensation. The total amount of compensation awarded in these cases will vary depending on the factors related to each particular case. However, the team at Tiano O’Dell, PLLC is regularly able to help clients recover the following:
- Coverage of all medical bills related to their injuries
- Lost income if they are unable to work while recovering
- Loss of future earnings or earning potential caused by a disability
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against an alleged negligent party
Contact a Charleston Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, our qualified and experienced team is ready to get to work investigating your injury claim so we can secure full compensation on your behalf. You can contact us for a free consultation online or by or calling (304) 720-6700.