Charleston, WV Truck Accident Lawyer
Large commercial trucks are the lifeblood of West Virginia’s economy. Unfortunately, these commercial vehicles can also lead to significant injuries or fatalities for victims when an accident occurs. At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, our Charleston truck accident lawyers have extensive experience helping victims throughout West Virginia. Our team has the resources necessary to conduct a full investigation into your case and secure the coverage you are entitled to. We are not afraid to stand up to aggressive insurance carriers in order to secure the compensation you are entitled to.
Why Choose Tiano O’Dell, PLLC?
After sustaining a severe injury in a truck accident in the Charleston, WV area, you need an attorney you can trust both personally and professionally. Tiano O’Dell, PLLC is standing by to help.
- Our Charleston truck accident lawyers have more than 20 years of experience handling serious injury cases for clients.
- Our firm has the resources necessary to handle the toughest truck accident cases in Charleston, and we are not afraid to take on aggressive trucking companies or insurance carriers.
- Founding partners William Tiano and Tony O’Dell have earned recognition as Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the American Trial Lawyers Association and West Virginia Super Lawyers.
- We take Charleston truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that our client will not pay any legal fees until after we secure the compensation they are entitled to.
Why do you need a truck accident lawyer?
Unfortunately, most truck accident victims in the Charleston area will not have the legal knowledge or resources necessary to secure full compensation for their claims. Truck accidents can become very complicated, but an attorney will have the knowledge, experience, and resources to give your case the greatest chance of succeeding and securing maximum compensation. An attorney will be able to:
- Obtain any evidence needed to prove liability, including any video surveillance of the incident, statements from eyewitnesses, accident reports, truck “black box” data, and more.
- Handle negotiations with aggressive insurance carriers in an effort to secure the compensation you are entitled to.
- Ensure you are evaluated by a trusted medical professional that can determine the full extent of your injuries.
- Work with trusted economic and financial experts to determine the true short- and long-term costs of your injuries.
Your Charleston, West Virginia truck accident lawyer is going to be your ally and your advocate when dealing with other parties after a serious crash.
Common Causes of Charleston Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can occur in a variety of ways in and around the Charleston area. Liability could fall to drivers of passenger vehicles, trucking companies, truck drivers, and others.
Trucking Company Negligence
Trucking companies have a tremendous responsibility to ensure their vehicles are safe for others on the roadway. This includes following all requirements set forth by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), such as:
- Ensuring vehicles are regularly inspected and properly maintained.
- Ensuring all drivers are properly trained and licensed.
- Not allowing any driver to operate outside of the required hours of service.
- Not allowing the truck to be overloaded with cargo under any circumstances.
Common Trucking Safety Violations
Unfortunately, trucking companies and truck drivers sometimes violate traffic laws and federal and state regulations. At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, our Charleston truck accident lawyers often discover that these incidents occur because a driver:
- Was operating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failed to follow traffic laws, including those specific to commercial truck activity
- Was operating the truck too fast for conditions
- Failed to follow the FMCSA hours of service and operated while fatigued
- Was operating while distracted by their phone or other devices while driving
Most common Charleston truck accident injuries
Injuries caused by truck accidents in Charleston, WV are often severe. According to the FMCSA, a fully loaded semi-truck can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. When we compare this to a traditional passenger vehicle that has an average weight of 4,000, it is easy to see why these crashes result in such devastating injuries.
It is not uncommon for the Charleston truck accident lawyers at Tiano O’Dell to help clients who have sustained the following injuries:
- Spinal cord trauma with paralysis
- Other severe neck or back injury
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or puncture wounds
- Crash injuries or amputations
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
Our Charleston truck accident lawyers are also cognizant of the emotional and psychological harm that these incidents can have on victims. While these injuries may not be as visible as physical trauma, they are just as real and can have devastating impacts on a person’s ability to function.
What Can Be Included in Truck Accident Settlements?
If you or somebody you love has been injured in a Charleston commercial truck accident caused by the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company, there may be various types of compensation available for your case. By working with a trusted attorney from Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, you may be able to recover the following:
- Full coverage of medical bills related to the truck crash
- Compensation for any lost income if you cannot work
- Compensation for any medical devices or prescription medications necessary
- Coverage of any physical therapy or rehabilitation you need
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Property damage expenses
If the truck driver or trucking company were grossly negligent in the incident that caused your injuries, we will work to secure punitive damages as well.
Contact a Charleston, West Virginia Truck Accident Attorney
If you or somebody you care about has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a truck driver or trucking company in Charleston, West Virginia, contact an attorney immediately. At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, we are going to stand by your side throughout your entire case. Our team is not afraid to stand up to aggressive insurance carriers or trucking companies, and we will work diligently to secure full compensation for your losses. To schedule your free consultation, contact us online or call (304) 720-6700.