When families make the difficult decision to move their loved ones into a nursing home, they expect that their family members will be well cared for and their basic needs will be met. They also expect that their loved ones will receive the medical care they need and that health problems will be recognized and treated accordingly. Unfortunately, nursing home residents do not always receive the care and treatment that they should, and they often suffer significant injuries and damages as a result.
If your loved one has suffered from dehydration, malnutrition, or their basic needs are otherwise not being met in their nursing home, you may have a claim for compensation against all responsible parties. At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, we represent nursing home residents whose rights have been violated. We understand the impact that negligent and abusive nursing home care can have on victims and their families, and we can help.
Our Nursing Home Practice
- We believe that any amount of nursing home abuse or neglect is egregious and cannot be overlooked. Our attorneys provide caring and compassionate representation for our clients while aggressively fighting for their rights.
- We know that securing financial compensation for nursing home abuse and neglect does not change the past, but it can help you get the compensation you deserve. Holding responsible parties accountable for their misconduct can also help to protect other residents from going through the same experience in the future.
- Our attorneys are committed to resolving each case as efficiently as possible without sacrificing results. Our goal is to secure maximum compensation for every client. We will keep you informed throughout the legal process and be there to answer your questions every step of the way.
Causes of Malnutrition and Dehydration in Nursing Homes
It is no secret that we have a nursing home crisis in West Virginia and across the country. Nursing home residents are frequently victims of neglect, abuse, and other rights violations in their living facilities. They regularly experience malnutrition and dehydration due to unacceptable, yet common nursing home problems and practices, such as:
- An understaffed facility
- Poorly trained staff
- Inadequate staff supervision
- Negligent hiring practices
- Medical malpractice
Compensation for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Malnutrition and dehydration can lead to severe medical complications and, sometimes, death. If nursing home abuse and neglect caused your loved one to experience malnutrition, dehydration, and other health problems, compensation under a personal injury claim might include medical expenses, pain and suffering, rehabilitation expenses, and future medical costs. Punitive damages may also be awarded to punish defendants for willful, wanton, and reckless conduct. If dehydration and malnutrition lead to fatal injuries, surviving family members may have a right to compensation under a wrongful death claim.
Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
At Tiano O’Dell, PLLC, we know that you want justice for your loved one. Our West Virginia nursing home abuse attorneys will meet with you to discuss your family member’s nursing home experience and go over your legal recovery options. We will help you and your family get the justice and compensation your loved one deserves.