West Virginia Scald and Burns Attorney
Scalds are burns that are caused when hot water or steam makes contact with the skin. A scald burn can take place instantly. For example, a third degree burn takes only one second when the water temperature is 160 degrees.
- Scald burns are preventable and often occur as a result of inattention
- Scald burns are common in restaurants when servers spill hot beverages on patrons
- Scald burns are common among employees in restaurants
- Scald burns occur most frequently to young children, elderly adults and persons with disabilities.
- Most scald burns happen at home during hot food and beverage preparation, and,
- Scald burns also occur frequently when hot tap, shower and bath water make contact with the skin
Responsible parties may include
- Restaurant owners
- Management companies
- Restaurant personnel
If you were burned in a scalding incident that was caused by the negligent, intentional or reckless conduct of another, you may seek monetary compensation for your injuries. The lawyers at Tiano O’Dell represent clients who have been injured in scald burns. A personal injury lawsuit may seek compensation for medical and hospital expenses, pain and suffering, lost income and more.
Scald Burns in Dwellings, Apartments, Hotels and Motels
Scalding frequently occurs during routine water usage in homes, apartments, hotels and motels. Sudden water temperature changes occur due to:
- Malfunctioning thermostats
- Malfunctioning water heaters
- Malfunctioning pressure balancing valves
- Surges in water pressure
- Other water temperature-related equipment malfunction
Homeowners, apartment renters, hotel and motel guests and others who use water from sinks, showers and bathtubs are all at risk of scalding burns. Persons who use these everyday water sources are subject to their sudden changes in temperature, and thus, scalding. Liability may extend to:
- House or dwelling owner
- Leasing agent
- Water maintenance personnel
- Maintenance plumbing company
- Plumbing contractor and designer
- Hot water heater manufacturer and maintenance company
Scalding burns may require hospitalization and extensive medical treatment. Severe cases may require skin grafts; extreme cases may require amputation of affected extremities. Tiano O’Dell provides experienced and aggressive representation to scald victims. Recognized as Top 100 Trial Lawyers and West Virginia Super Lawyers, Tiano O’Dell has a proven track record obtaining compensation for their injured clients.
Complimentary Consultation with West Virginia Scald and Burn Attorneys; No Fees Unless We Win Your Case
Tiano O’Dell offers a complimentary consultation to scald and burn victims. There are no fees involved unless we win your case. Most cases are settled out of court by skillful negotiations with insurance companies. In those cases where the insurance company does not offer a reasonable and fair settlement, we will take the case to trial for a verdict. With 60 years of combined experience, we are not intimidated in the least by insurance company tactics. We are compassionate, devoted attorneys who provide personal client service. It is our goal to help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and to hold the responsible parties accountable. To schedule your free consultation, call Tiano O’Dell at 304-720-6700.