Huntington Car Accident Attorney
Getting into a car accident is a traumatic and scary experience. In the aftermath of a crash, you may be left wondering what your next steps should be, especially if you or a loved one have been injured as a result of another driver’s negligence. You may need to seek assistance from a Huntington, WV car accident attorney. A skilled attorney will investigate your claim and work to secure the compensation you are entitled to. Contact the team at Tiano O’Dell, PLLC to get started today.
Car accidents are going to happen
Most people are involved in a motor vehicle accident at some point in their lifetime. In and around crowded areas like Huntington, car accidents happen all the time. During the latest reporting year in West Virginia, we know that there were 268 total crash fatalities and 1,381 total serious injuries. Thousands more suffered what were considered non-life-threatening injuries. However, please understand that even minor car accident injuries can lead to major medical bills for victims.
Some of the most common injuries our Huntington car accident attorneys help clients with include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
What to do after a Huntington, WV car accident
If you have been involved in a car accident in Huntington, there are a few steps you can take to ensure your well-being and help the settlement process.
- Seek medical care. Immediately after a crash, call 911 and assess whether anyone needs medical attention or not. Even if you do not feel much pain, please know that the signs and symptoms of many car accident injuries may not appear until hours or even days after the crash. Let a doctor examine you and make a diagnosis.
- Gather evidence. Using a smartphone or another camera, take photos of everything, including damage to the vehicles, injuries, possible causes of the crash, and more. Get the names and contact information of everyone involved as well as from eyewitnesses to the crash.
- Report the crash to your carrier. You are required to let your insurer know what happened but stick to a simple report. Let them know an incident occurred and give them the other driver’s information. Do not give a recorded statement or talk about the extent of your injuries.
- Call an attorney. If another driver caused your injuries, their insurance carrier will do everything possible to lower how much they pay you. Your attorney will work to secure maximum compensation.
Can you recover compensation after a Huntington car accident?
There are a few ways you can recover compensation if you are struck and injured by another driver. West Virginia is an at-fault state, meaning that the driver who caused the incident is responsible for the crash is responsible for all costs. You can recover damages through:
- The at-fault driver’s insurance carrier. In these cases, it is important to have a Huntington car accident lawyer ready to deal with aggressive insurance carriers who do not want to make a large settlement.
- A personal injury lawsuit. If the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier does not offer a fair settlement or denies your claim, you may have to file a personal injury lawsuit against the carrier and the at-fault driver. A skilled Huntington personal injury attorney will work to help you with all aspects of your case.
Contact a Huntington, WV Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been in a car accident in West Virginia, the legal team at Tiano O’Dell, PLLC can help. Do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your case. Our Huntington car accident attorneys can be reached at (304) 720-6700 or by filling out our online contact form. We offer free consultations.