What to Do if You Slip & Fall in a Grocery Store
Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, and victims often incur significant medical bills and out-of-pocket expenses. Slip and fall victims also have to contend with pain and suffering as a result of their injuries. It is crucial that victims who sustain slip and fall injuries in a grocery store know the steps to take so they can obtain maximum compensation for their losses.
Common Causes of Slip & Fall Injuries in Stores
Grocery stores are rife with slip and fall hazards. Grocery store shelves are filled with items that contain liquids, but these are not the only causes of slip and fall injuries in these locations. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall injuries in grocery stores include the following:
- Floors slippery from spills of food or drink
- Mopped floors with no “wet floor” signs
- Low-lying obstacles in pedestrian pathways (containers, cords, etc.)
- Damaged grocery carts
- Cracked or uneven pavement outside of the store
- Bunched up or improperly positioned floor mats
- No floor mats in areas where there are slip hazards
Steps to Take After Falling
There are various steps you can take in the immediate aftermath of a slip and fall incident, as well as in the days and weeks afterward, to ensure you receive compensation. These include:
- Seeking immediate medical care. Regardless of how minor or major your injuries may seem, you need to seek medical care immediately. This ensures your well being and also establishes a direct link between the incident and the injuries.
- Reporting the incident. The store manager or owner needs to be notified immediately so they can begin the accident report process. Make sure to get the name and contact information of the store supervisor.
- Obtaining evidence. If you are able to do so, use a phone or another type of camera to take photographs of the causes of the slip and fall incident. You should also get the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses to the incident.
- Working with an attorney. Contacting a skilled Charleston premises liability lawyer will be crucial in obtaining full compensation for your losses.
Proving Liability Through Premises Negligence
Premises liability law generally holds property owners responsible for the safety of their premises. Property owners have a duty to ensure that their premises are safe from any reasonably foreseeable hazards. Property owners should regularly inspect and maintain their entire premises, particularly areas where their employees and guests are allowed to pass through. Property owners must work to remediate any hazards as soon as possible. If they cannot fix a hazard immediately, they need to place proper warning signs to alert workers and guests of the danger.
Contact a Charleston Grocery Store Accident Lawyer
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a grocery store slip and fall accident in Charleston, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. The team at Tiano O’Dell is ready to get to work investigating every aspect of your claim so we can obtain full compensation for your losses. We have extensive experience handling premises liability cases and a track record of success in obtaining significant settlements and verdicts for our clients.