When going to a doctor’s office, one would expect the highest degree of sanitation to be implemented, more so when it comes to injections. For Valley Pain Management, high amounts of hygiene issues were discovered. Since the opening of the clinic in 2010 to November 2013, the clinic owned by Dr. Roland Chalifoux Jr. in McMechen, WV is said to have reused syringes and saline bags on multiple patients. He is also reported not to have used a surgical mask during epidural injections.
What this means for patients – If you have visited the clinic between the opening in 2010 to November 2013 and received an injection, there is a possibility you could have contracted one of the following diseases:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
The cost of treatment for any of these diseases can range from $54,000 up to over $300,000. Not only is cost a major factor, the detrimental effects over time are deadly on a body’s immune system.
Here’s what to look for with each disease:
- Hepatitis B: Abdominal pain, dark urine, fever, joint pain, loss of appetite, nausea/vomiting, weakness and fatigue, and yellowing or the skin and whites of eyes (jaundice).
- Hepatitis C: Usually no signs in early stages, but may include fatigue, fever, nausea or poor appetite, muscle and joint pains and yellowing of the skin and whites of eyes (jaundice).
- HIV: The virus severely weakens the immune system which usually causes rapid weight loss, recurring fever or profuse night sweats, extreme and unexplained tiredness, and prolonged swelling of the lymph glands in the armpits, groin or neck.
Testing is available at the following health departments until October 21st:
- Hancock County Health Department 304-564-3343
- Brooke County Health Department 304-737-3665
- Wheeling-Ohio Health Department 304-234-3682
- Marshall County Health Department 304-845-7840
- Wetzel-Tyler Health Department 304-337-2001
Our firm here at Tiano O’Dell takes medical malpractice seriously. Doctors, clinics or hospitals that fail to follow health and safety guidelines need to be handled critically and accurately. If you or someone you know was the victim of a clinic related incident, you may be entitled to damages for your related illness. Medical malpractice is to be taken seriously. Contact a personal injury lawyer immediately if affected by this incident or one similar.