Elder abuse and neglect are far too common in the United States and in West Virginia. Because many seniors who live in nursing homes or assisted living facilities often do not have the ability to report their mistreatment, it is firmly in the hands of their loved ones and their community members to ensure that all known violations are reported and resolved. But how does a person report suspected nursing home negligence or nursing home abuse?

Three Ways to Report Elder Abuse and Neglect in West Virginia

Even if you are not totally sure that elder abuse or neglect is taking place, you can report your concerns to three different organizations in West Virginia. All complaints should be reported to the first two groups, while complaints that need immediate attention or that involve the possibility of someone getting seriously harmed should also be reported to the police.


  • Adult Protective Services. Adult Protective Services (APS) is a social services program designed to protect the health and safety of seniors and adults with disabilities. When you report your elder abuse or neglect complaint to a local APS office, an APS worker will investigate your case, meet face-to-face with the senior in question,  and take all needed measures to resolve it. To file a report with APS, please call (800) 352-6513.
  • The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. In addition to reporting your case to APS, you should also contact the West Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. Not only do they work to resolve cases with individual residents, they also work with different levels of government to generally improve the lives of seniors and those with disabilities. To get into contact with the West Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program and report your complaint, call (800) 834-0598.
  • Local law enforcement. If you believe that an elderly person or multiple elderly people face imminent danger due to elder abuse and/or neglect, do not hesitate to call your local police department to report the issue and to request immediate help. If the elder abuse is an emergency, don’t hesitate to call 911.


Reporting Financial Elder Abuse

Unlike neglect, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and sexual abuse, elder financial abuse should be reported to the West Virginia Attorney General’s office by calling, toll-free, (866) 241-5062. The Attorney General will investigate all cases of financial exploitation.

Get Help with Your Case from a West Virginia Nursing Home Abuse Attorney

In addition to reporting your elder nursing home abuse or neglect complaint, you may wish to consider contacting a West Virginia nursing home abuse lawyer in order to learn more about your case so that your loved one can receive compensation for damages from the at-fault party – and so that the at-fault party is punished and prevented from further abuse and neglect.

To ask a question, tell us about your case, or learn your legal options, request a free consultation today.