Charleston, WV Medical Malpractice Attorney
Medical mistakes can lead to devastating injuries for victims. Often, errors made by medical professional result in fatalities. At Tiano O’Dell, our Charleston, West Virginia medical malpractice attorneys have extensive experience handling these cases, and we are here to help if you or a loved one has been injured or become ill due to a medical mistake. We pledge to investigate your case and work to obtain full compensation for your losses.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice cases arise when a patient is harmed by a doctor or other type of medical professional who fails to competently perform their medical duties and uphold a sufficient quality standard of care for the patient. Medical malpractice cases are allowed so that victims who have been injured or become ill are able to recover compensation for any losses that they incur.
Why Choose Tiano O’Dell, PLLC?
Hiring an attorney after suffering from an injury or illness caused by a medical mistake is a big decision, but you can count on our team to stand by your side throughout your entire case.
- Our attorneys have more than two decades of experience handling all types of injury cases in Charleston and throughout West Virginia.
- We have the resources necessary to handle the toughest medical malpractice cases, and we are not afraid of aggressive insurance carriers or legal teams.
- We take Charleston medical malpractice cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that our clients will not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket costs for their case. We only collect legal fees after we obtain the compensation our clients need.
Why Make a Medical Malpractice Claim?
If you or a loved one have been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a medical professional, it is very likely that you will need to undergo significant medical treatment. Medical malpractice victims also regularly sustain tremendous out-of-pocket expenses as well as lost income if they cannot work while they recover. A successful Charleston, West Virginia medical malpractice claim allows victims to recover the compensation they so desperately need in these situations.
Types of Medical Malpractice Claims
Medical malpractice claims arise in various ways, and some of the most common cases we help clients with at Tiano O’Dell include the following:
- Birth Injuries. Every birth injury is different, and this type of injury can occur in a variety of ways. Medical professionals involved in labor and delivery must be ready for all possible outcomes, including any emergencies that may arise. Failure to monitor a child’s or mother’s vital signs, failure to monitor maternal conditions, the misuse of birthing tools, and a failure to schedule emergency procedures can all result in significant birth injuries.
- Surgical Errors. Mistakes made during surgery can occur in a variety of ways and are often devastating. These surgical errors can include leaving objects inside of a patient, operating on the wrong body part, performing the wrong procedure, complications arising during a procedure (nicking an artery), etc.
- Medical Negligence. Medical negligence can refer to a variety of preventable mistakes that can occur when a person seeks care from a medical professional. Medical negligence can include a failure to diagnose a patient, a failure to treat an injury or illness, misdiagnosis, misreading a patient’s chart, and more.
- Medical Misdiagnosis. Errors made when diagnosing a patient are often considered to be the most detrimental type of error that can occur. This can include a delayed diagnosis, a failure to diagnose, and a misdiagnosis. A medical misdiagnosis can occur when a medical professional fails to listen to a patient, ignores their symptoms, does not order the proper tests, misinterprets test results, or otherwise fails to diagnose a condition that a reasonable and prudent medical professional would have.
Causes & Perpetrators of Medical Errors
Medical professionals typically do exactly what they should: they help us and heal us. Unfortunately, mistakes can happen for a variety of reasons. Any type of medical professional or healthcare facility staff member could be held accountable for making a medical mistake. This includes the following:
- Doctor’s Assistants
- EMTs and Paramedics
- Medical Technicians
- Urgent Care Center Staff Members
- Physical Therapists
- Emergency Room Staff Members
These cases occur for a variety of reasons, and some of the most common causes of medical malpractice cases that we help clients with include the following:
- A lack of communication between medical team members
- Inadequate organization at a hospital or healthcare facility
- Inexperience on the part of a medical professional
- Medical worker fatigue that impairs their ability to make sound judgments
- Substance abuse on the part of the medical professional
Damages Available in Charleston Medical Malpractice Cases
If you or a loved one has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a medical professional, there may be various types of compensation available for your claim. At Tiano O’Dell, our qualified Charleston medical malpractice lawyers have a track record of success helping our clients recover the following types of compensation in these cases:
- Full coverage of all past and future medical expenses related to the mistake
- Lost wages if a victim is unable to work
- Reduced lifetime earnings caused by the injuries
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of consortium damages for a spouse
- Any household out-of-pocket the victim incurs
The total amount of compensation available in a Charleston medical malpractice case will vary depending on the specific factors related to each particular case.
Why You Need a Lawyer for Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice cases can become notoriously difficult. Most malpractice victims do not have legal expertise or the resources necessary to fully investigate their claim and obtain maximum compensation. At Tiano O’Dell, our Charleston medical malpractice lawyers can use their resources to:
- Help you obtain quality medical care for your injuries.
- Obtain and preserve any evidence needed to prove the liability of the medical professional(s) involved.
- Ensure that your case is filed within any deadlines put in place by law.
- Work with trusted economic and financial experts to help calculate your total losses.
- Negotiate with every party in order to obtain full compensation for your losses.
Our Experienced Lawyers in Charleston, WV Can Help
At Tiano O’Dell, we are premier medical malpractice lawyers in Charleston. Our firm recognizes that injury victims deserve quality legal representation when standing up to negligent parties. For more than 20 years, we have been helping medical malpractice victims obtain the compensation they deserve. We pledge to give you and your case the meticulous attention to detail it deserves. When you need a Charleston, West Virginia medical malpractice attorney, you can contact Tiano O’Dell online or by calling us at (304) 720-6700. We offer free consultations.